Monday, July 19, 2010

How great is our calling!

Hello Everyone

"Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." - 3 Nephi 5:13

I had a very amazing and spiritually packed week. I learned so much. First I want to tell you all about my epic personal studies this week.

I was reading in Alma 20. King Lamoni had just been converted to the Lord through Ammon's hard work. After all of this, Ammon was called to go free Aaron and his brethren from prison in Middioni. He told the king this and Lamoni insited to come with him to help his brethren. Along the way they ran into King Lamonis father. Long story short, King Lamoni's father was not happy and tried to kill his own son. But Ammon would not allow that to happen. He loved King Lamoni and he protected him. King Lamoni's father was beaten back by Ammon and Ammon spared his life. King Lamoni's Father recognized the love and it troubled him. I'll talk more about him later.
s\So Ammon and King Lamoni carried on and found Aaron in prison. In Alma 20:28-30 it said that they had suffered many afflictions-- hunger, thirst, fatigue. They said that their skin was worn, bound with strong cords. Then in Alma 21 it tells the story about what Aaron and his brethen went through after the sons of Mosiah all separated to serve the Lord. It said that Aaron was chosen to go preach to a more hard-hearted people. The Lamanites drove them out of their cities. They felt discouraged but the Lord comforted them. So they went to other cities round about and only a few believed their words( Alma 21:12). Then they were cast into prison.
Sometimes I feel the way Aaron did. I may not have been thrown into prison or beatened physically but i have gone through many trials since I have been out on my mission. Something my brother, Kevin, said to me before I left that always stuck with my mind was " the next 2 years will be the best, but also the worst" a mission is not easy. It was never meant to be easy. I have felt the extremes of both ends of the scale. I've felt the joy that comes to my heart when I see someone change their ways and come unto Christ. And I have felt the deep despair that comes when the people harden their hearts and push Christ away. It's so sad because these people don't know what they are missing.
Back to Aaron. So after they were released, Aaron was prompted to go see King Lamoni's father. The King was troubled about what Ammon had done. He saw the great love Ammon had for his son and his great example. The king wondered why? Aaron saw this as an oppurtunity to teach the King. Now he knew why he was prompted to come to the King. The King was converted. he felt the Spirit and knew that the things Aaron and his bretren were teaching were true. The king acted on those feelings and the powerful Spirit of conversion fell upon him.
After all of the trials and afflictions they went through, the Lord blessed them and they found success. And becasue the King was converted, that opened the door for many others to hear the pleasing words of God. The Lord blessed them because of their patience and long suffering. Ee too can find success through mighty prayer. Keeping a good attitude about it is another trait we must have. Remember YOU are a disciple of Christ. Christ never complained, why should we? What I'm getting at here is that sometimes we run into people whose hearts are hardened. But that doesn't mean that they are doomed. There is always a way back. Just be the example.

Next I would like to talk about how being an example can have a big impact on somebody's life. I mentioned the example that Ammon set forth for the King. I also want to talk about a man named Brother Facione. I watched a movie called "Mafia to Mormon" which is about this man Bro Facione and his conversion to the Church.
Mario Facione used to work for the Mafia. He started during a very young age in his life. His dad wasn't the best example. He was actually the one who got him started in the business. His Dad told him at a very young age that if you go down this road that there is no drinking, no girls, and no friends. He said that when you drink, you talk, you go to jail. You chase after girls, you boast about yourself, you go to jail. You have friends, you show off, you go to jail. He lives these rules. The mafia was all that he knew. Then when missionaries came around and he talked with them he was over time converted. Something that he always went back to was the example the missionaries set for him, the one missionary in particular. He said he was so professional and answered all the questions he had. It blew him away-- mind boggling he said. Anyway he left the mafia, went to the Temple and now has a great loving family.
Watching that movie made me realise how truly blessed I am for the family that I have. I was taught to not drink because its damages my body. I was taught to not chase after girls because it could end up with me doing something that I would regret. I was taught to make good friends with high standards. Bro Facione was taught all these things so that he wouldn't go to jail. I'm sure his Dad did love him and didn't want him to go to jail. but my parents taught me this because they loved me and cared about my future. They taught me these things so that I would live a happier life NOT so that I could keep on breaking the law and get away with it. That's the difference. Bro Facione did these things so that he wouldn't get caught breaking the law. I did these things so that I could be happier. Wickedness never was happiness. I'm sure Bro Facione thought he was happy but he truly wasn't. He said that he was always worried that someone would find him. He could never sleep at night. He would hang pots and pans on the doors to alert him if someone came after him. How can you be happy if you are constantly watching your back?

Again, I want to tell you all that I am blessed for the example of my parents. My parents would have to sometimes drag me to Church. I didn't really like it back then but now I am so grateful that they did. My Dad is a great man who strives faithfully to fulfill his Priesthood responsibilities. I remember when we had to go home teaching. I didn't like it. I would always try to get out of it. Sometimes it worked. But my Dad knew the importance of home teaching and he would find someone else to go with him. I remember growing up and I went to my parents room to ask them something and I found my Dad kneeling in prayer. I would quietly close the door and let him finish. I didn't pray everyday growing up but my Dad's example helped me to get into the habit of it.
My Mom is another great example. She is filled with the Spirit of Elijah. She is the family history genius, she works so hard because she knows that there are people waiting for their work to be done.
Things that my parents did back then, I never really realized how important they were. now I know.

There are so many more things I want to share with you all. I learned so much in this past week. It was amazing. We are all disciples of the Living Christ. We have all been called to do this great sacred work. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone. I know it to be true. I love you all. Thank you for your prayers and support. Till we meet again.

love
Elder Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment