Monday, July 12, 2010

Elder Richards the bunny slayer

Tell Beth that she has no idea what the meaning of apostasy is. I'M not apostate. But man, remember what they say about sin city, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Enough said.

So funny story. Remember how Dad would always have problems in the garden with squirrels? And remember how he would run out screaming and scare them off and they would just come back later? Then he said he should get a airsoft gun and take them out. Well Dad, BB's are the only way to do it. The members we live with had a bunny running around eating their garden. It's funny because they blame us that their garden is being destroyed because we should be blessing it every time we walk by it. It never occurred to them that this is Vegas where the average temperature in the summer is like 105 degrees. And there are like a million bunnies running around. I swear I almost hit at least 2 bunnies every day with the car. But nooooooo, we are the ones screwing it up. Balderdash. So I took action. They gave me a BB gun. It wasn't a carbine action red rider but it did well enough. There wasn't a compass in the stock, but I managed on my own sense of direction.

So there I was crouching... waiting... watching. I see him enter the battlefield. It looks at me and I look right back at it. It sits still hoping that I won't see it in the brown desert background. But it is already too late for the bunny. I give the rifle 10 pumps and took aim. I aim the green dot right between its eyes holding the rifle steady, breathing slowly. The bunny ears perk up sensing danger. The sweat on my brow drips onto the rifle. The hot air was blowing across my face. The bunny lunges! BOOM! I hit it! But I only wounded it. It sat there for a little bit breathing slowly. Then in a wild frenzy it started doing back flips in place. I load another BB and take aim again. BOOM! No more back flips, just twitching helpless on the ground. One more BB and I put it out of its misery. It all happened so fast. It took mere seconds but it felt like hours... victory. We didn't even have to use the holy hand grenade.

We buried Roger the Rabbit in the middle of the desert near some bike jumps. Then we jumped our bikes in honor of Roger Rabbit. May he rest in peace.....

Transfer calls were Saturday and Elder Sellers and I are both staying! yay. We were excited about that. We had an amazing lesson with a eternigator named Darren Nakosone. His wife is a member but he is not. Everything went so well. We taught him the Restoration of the Gospel. This was the first time I was able to teach him but he has had a lot of missionaries in the last 2 years. It went really really well. The Spirit was so strong. Darren is so close. In the middle of the lesson I was prompted by the Spirit. I knew exactly what he needed to do to receive the powerful witness of the Spirit. He is really shy so he never prays in front of people, even with his family. I KNEW at that moment that the moment he prays out loud with his family, the Spirit would overcome him and he will know that this Church is true. Then he would follow the example of his Savior and be baptized. Now the amazing part about this lesson is that as soon as I was about to invite him to pray with us, my wonderful companion made the same invitation. I knew that he had the same prompting at the same exact time that I did. Like I said, Darren was so close but he just couldn't do it. Not yet anyway. We talked about the prompting that we had during the lesson. So we are going to really focus on him this coming transfer.

Thank you for your prayers and support. Have fun in Utah.

Elder Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment